Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A Text to World Connection in Paper Towns

In the novel, Paper Towns  by John Green we are learning more about Margo as we go further into the story. She is very angry with her friends and what they have done to her and she is getting revenge on them. She tells these people that their friendship/ relationship "sleeps with the fishes." This saying will make more sense if you chose to read the book. Through out this story you learn more about Margo's life and the drama. There is one example that stuck out to me the most.

In one part of Margo's adventure she plans to get revenge on her old best friend Becca. Becca was with Margo's boyfriend Chuck secretly and as you can imagine, just like everyone else, Margo is not happy. She is talking to Q and asking him why he would cheat on her with Becca. Q's responce seems to make sense to us; he claims that it's based on her looks and that she is considered "hot". That seems to make a lot of sense to us since many people in society will look at someone's looks. However, Margo's response to Q's answer really stood out to me. On page 37 Margo responds by saying, "That's always seemed so ridiculous to me, that people would want to be around someone because they're pretty. It's like picking your breakfast cereals based on the color instead of taste." The simile or connection seemed very deep to me. Do we ever pick our food based on it's color? We may sometimes, but if we open our mind and give it a try it could become the best meal we've ever had. This could be the same way in relationships. In today's society we seem to look at someone's appearance rather than their personality. I always hear "So and so is so hot." Although that may be a compliment I believe that we should be looking at someone's personality. Becca was considered to be a very mean person. If we chose who we liked by personality then she probably wouldn't be in this situation or many people would not date her. So, just like food we should pick people based on there flavor/ personality.

I can relate this to today's society very well. Like I said I hear so many people discussing people's looks rather than talking about one's personality. I once was told to not mainly look at someones appearance especially when I'mat the time in my life when I'm looking for a husband when I'm older. That person will look very different in 50 years compared to when we would first meet. However,  there personality should remain the same. This proves how you should fall in love with someones personality then looking at how they look. I'm not saying it's bad to be good looking. That is a blessing and I personally think everyone  is beautiful. I am just saying that people should be picked by personality first. So hopefully we will be picking friends and dates just like how we pick out our food.


Photo found on:
http://bricksandpics.com/2012/10/17/fruit-loops/

No comments:

Post a Comment